Element Games - discounts on miniatures and hobby supplies!

Element Games - Wargaming Webstore

Monday 15 November 2021

Stormcast Eternals Underworlds Warbands


D&D again inspired me to get a couple of Underworlds warbands painted up - they are great models for things like that! And it's good to have a bit of extra motivation.

In this case, I wanted to surprise the players with a few Animated Armours. I had already made my stormvault terrain, customising it with Stormcast statues (models from the AOS starter box that I was unlikely to use in a game; they look great on the plinths as statues). This was to be the Forge of Spells, the objective for the party to get to, and I had a couple of Spectators awaiting the party. However, as I knew they were coming in at level 5 and all pretty much maxed out after a long rest, I wanted to throw a little something extra. So I decided that it would be fun for a couple of the statues to come to life and attack them - adding an extra element to the Spectator fight (they can be very squishy when getting up close). 

I didn't have long to paint these guys up. I decided to paint both warbands - I only wanted to used fully-helmed Stormcast, but getting the whole lot done in one go would be useful for Underworlds games too. I spent just a couple of hours one evening and then a couple of hours the following afternoon to get them done (after undercoating), which was record time. Almost all contrast paints, which really sped things up! I'm pleased with the finished result. Nothing fancy, I didn't want to overcomplicate it, but I think quite effective in the end. 

I've got two of the undead warbands painted up, still a few more to go! 

Steelheart's Champions





Stormsire's Cursebreakers 






This is how they look on the Stormvault dais

(I took quite a few photos to account for different scenarios during the game!)














No comments:

Post a Comment